During the reign of Sheikh Mubarak Al Sabah (1896 – 1915), the political and commercial necessity of Kuwait increased substantially, it ushered the need for a palace that would be a felicitous center of power. Sheikh Mubarak already owned a house that overlooked the sea, opposite to it, were stables and storerooms, where Sheikh Mubarak ordered his palace to be built, which came to be known as Seif Palace.
Sheikh Mubarak had a close relationship with Sheikh Khazaal Bin Merdaw, a prominent tribal leader on the east coast of Shatt Al-Arab, and it was him who sent an architect from Baghdad to design and construct a palace worth the ruler of Kuwait. The architect suggested in adding a wing to the western part of the stable in order to extend the original building. The floor was covered with yellow colored tiles brought from the town of Al Emara, which lies to the north of Basra.
External walls and the staircase were built and doors, windows, and wooden arches were also decorated with stained glass. The palace was built in 1324 A.H, 1906/1907 A.D.